2024 Waiver Update
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
(FOR THOSE 18 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER)
By executing this document you will waive certain legal rights, including the right to sue.
Please read carefully.
2. AVB and its directors, officers, committee members, members, employees, volunteers, participants, agents and representatives (collectively the “Organization”) are not responsible for any injury, personal injury, damage, property damage, expense, loss of income or loss of any kind suffered by a Participant during, or as a result of, any program, activity or event, caused in any manner whatsoever including, but not limited to, the negligence of the Organization.
The participant, does hereby execute this release, waiver and indemnification for himself/ herself /themselves, and his/her/their heirs, successors, representatives, and assigns, and hereby agree and represent as follows:
To release the Volleyball Around Abbotsford Society, its members, employees, coachers, players, managers and/or management, Executive Directors, or any other VAAS representatives or other organizations affiliated with VAAS from any and all liability, loss, damage, costs, claims and/or causes of action, including but not limited to all bodily injuries and property damage arising out of participating in the event referred to above, it being specifically understood that said event includes the participation of the athlete at any venue with VAAS players, coaches and staff by the undersigned participant and/or legal guardian.
Assumption of the Risk and Waiver of Liability Relating to Covonavirus/COVID-19
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person contact. As a result, federal, provincial / state, and local governments and federal and provincial / state health agencies recommend social distancing and have, in many locations, prohibited the congregation of groups of people.
Volleyball Around Abbotsford Society (“VAAS”) has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19; however, VAAS cannot guarantee that you will not become infected with COVID-19. Further, attending “any volleyball program” could increase your risk of contracting COVID-19.
By signing this agreement, I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by attending “any volleyball program”, and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at VAAS activities may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, employees, volunteers, and any third parties and/or their families.
I voluntarily agree to assume all of the foregoing risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to my myself (including, but not limited to, personal injury, disability, and death), illness, disease, damage, loss, claim, liability, or expense, of any kind, that I may experience or incur in connection with my attendance at VAAS games, practices or activities and/or my participation in such VAAS games, practices or activities.
I hereby release, covenant not to sue, discharge, and hold harmless VAAS, its employees, agents, and representatives, of and from the Claims, including all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating thereto. I understand and agree that this release includes any Claims based on the actions, omissions, or negligence of VAAS, its employees, agents, and representatives, whether a COVID-19 infection occurs before, during, or after participation in any VAAS games, practices or activities.
It is understood and formally acknowledged that I have read this document and agreed herein that I am aware that by signing this agreement I am waiving certain substantial legal rights.
3. I am participating voluntarily in the sport of volleyball and the actives, events and programs of the Organization. In consideration of my participation in the sport of volleyball and the programs, activities and events of the Organization, I hereby acknowledge that I am aware of the risks, dangers and hazards associated with or related to the sport of volleyball and any such programs, activities and events of the Organization including injuries which can be severe and even fatal. I UNDERSTAND THAT COVID-19 (and other sicknesses) ARE A SIGNIFICANT HEALTH RISK AND CAN CARRY HIGH RISKS OF TRANSMISSION THROUGH PHYSICAL OR SHARED CONTACT. The risks, dangers and hazards include, but are not limited to, injuries from:
- Exerting and stretching various muscle groups, strenuous cardiovascular workouts and heatstroke;
- HEALTH: food and beverages, overexertion, dehydration, fatigue, traumatic injury, infections, rashes, and transmission of communicable diseases (including COVID-19 and influenza), bacteria, parasites or other organisms or mutations thereof;
- Vigorous physical exertion, rapid movements and quick turns and stops;
- Falling, tumbling or hitting other participants;
- Falling to the ground or floor due to uneven, slippery or irregular surfaces;
- Contact, colliding or being struck by the volleyball, net, poles, other individuals, equipment, walls, stands, or benches;
- Failing to play within one’s abilities and within designated areas;
- Failure to properly use any piece of equipment or from the mechanical failure of any piece of equipment;
- Animal attacks; including but not limited to, dogs;
- Extreme weather conditions which may result in heatstroke, sunstroke or lightning strikes;
- Spinal cord injuries which may render me permanently paralyzed;
4. Furthermore, I am aware:
- That injuries sustained can be severe;
- That I may experience anxiety while challenging myself during the activities, events and programs;
- That my risk of injury is reduced if I follow all rules established for participation; and
- That my risk of injury increases as I become fatigued.
- That my personal property may be stolen or damaged. All items brought into the facilities are my responsibility.
5. In consideration of the Organization allowing me to participate for the year of 2023, I agree:
- That I am not suffering from any physical or medical condition which would preclude me from participating in the activities, events and programs provided by the Organization;
- To assume all risks arising out of, associated with or related to my participation;
- To waive any and all claims that I may have now or in the future against the Organization;
- To freely accept and fully assume all such risks and possibility of personal injury, illness or disease (e.g. communicable diseases including COVID-19 and influenza), death, property loss, property damage, expense and related loss, including loss of income, resulting from my participation in the sport of volleyball and the activities, events and programs of the Organization; and
- To forever release the Organization from any and all liability for any and all claims, demands, actions and costs that might arise out of my participation in the activities, events and programs of the Organization, due to any cause whatsoever, even though such risks, injuries, loss, damage, claims, demands, actions or costs may have been caused by the negligence or breach of any duty of care of the Organization.
6. I hereby authorize VAAS to take photographs and/or videos of me during the Activity, and to display and otherwise use these photographs and/or videos without charge solely for the purpose or promotional material in connection with the Organization.
ATHLETE MEDIA RELEASE FORM
This form will remain active on the athlete’s file until superseded by the most recent signed form.
I hereby agree and give consent for Volleyball Around Abbotsford Society (hereinafter referred to as VAAS) and/or partners to record, film, photograph, audiotape or videotape my name, image, and performance (herein collectively referred to as “Recordings”). I hereby consent to the use of Recordings or my name for advertising, promotional or commercial purposes of any kind at the sole discretion of VAAS including, but not limited to, the VAAS website, brochures, blogs, all social media platforms-including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, lnstagram, SnapChat, YouTube, and/or for broadcasting on television or radio as determined by VAAS.
I understand that the Recordings may appear in electronic form on the Internet or in other publications outside of VAAS’s control. I agree that I will not hold VAAS responsible for any harm that may arise from such unauthorized reproduction.
I hereby waive any right to approve the use of this content now or in the future, whether the use is known to me or unknown, and I waive any right to any royalties related to the use of this content.
I hereby release VAAS, its officers, employees, agents and its advertising and promotional agencies from any and all claims, demands, damages, actions, causes of action whatsoever which I, my heirs, executors, administrators may now or hereafter have against them or any part of them in respect to relating to the use of the Recordings, including but not limited to libel and invasion of privacy. I understand that this release is irrevocable by me so that VAAS may proceed in full reliance thereon.
By submitting this form, I give this consent and release voluntarily on behalf of the individual named and I understand and agree to be bound by its contents.
Code of Conduct
Participants of all Volleyball Around Abbotsford Society [ AKA AbbotsfordVolleyball.com / (“AVB”) ] volleyball programs, activities and events are expected to behave with civility and appropriate conduct. When you agree to join the AVB, you indicate, by your registration, that you agree to abide by the Code of Conduct. No refunds will be given for loss of membership privileges due to breach of the Code of Conduct. All members are encouraged to exercise good judgment in caring for the safety of others as well as themselves. In the event you witness or experience threatening or inappropriate behavior by another individual, please report the situation immediately to AVB staff, volunteer or management. Standards of Conduct include, but are not limited to, the examples outlined below. The following types of conduct are specifically prohibited and may result in loss of membership:
- Aggressive Behavior: You may not promote or engage in physical abuse, verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion and/or other conduct, which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person. You may not use “fighting words” to harass any employee or participant. If you engage in behavior that is considered aggressive, then your actions may result in a suspension (of varying length) or permanent expulsion. All volleyball programs, activities and events are “NON-CONTACT” thus disregarding this rule is considered aggressive behavior.
- Control: AVB Event Coordinators and management are responsible for managing and maintaining the safety of our members and facilities. You agree to comply with the directions of AVB staff acting in the performance of their duties. Failure to comply with staff requests, directions, or instructions will result in loss of privileges.
- Disorderly Conduct: You may not engage in disorderly or lewd conduct including disorder associated with alcohol or controlled substances.
In registering as a member of AVB and within the context of the activities of AVB an individual agrees to take part in a spirit of fair play, honesty and with the rules and regulations of AVB. As such the member is expected to:
- Have read the rules and agree to compete/participate within the rules of the AVB event.
- Play within the spirit of the AVB event which is to have fun and be social in a sports setting.
- Compete/participate in a spirit of fair play and honesty.
- Control your temper. Verbal and/or physical abuse of officials and other players, deliberately distracting or provoking an opponent are not acceptable or permitted behaviors in any sport.
- Refrain from using profane, insulting, harassing or otherwise offensive language in the context of the activities. Respect an individuals’ dignity; verbal or physical behaviors that constitute harassment or abuse are unacceptable.
- Agree to cooperate with the event coordinator, teammates and opponents as well as address fellow athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers, event organizers, spectators and others associated with AVB in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Participate for your own enjoyment and benefit.
- Treat all participants as you like to be treated.
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of all participants. This includes but is not limited to their gender, ability, cultural background or religion.
- Put the good of the game and your fellow participants safety and enjoyment above the desire to win at all costs.
- Act in a manner that will bring credit to AVB and yourself, both within and outside the competition arena and/or competition area.
Anyone that fails to adhere to the code of conduct is subject to penalties that include but are not limited to suspension of any length, complete expulsion for an indefinite amount of time, exclusion from other AVB leagues and/or events.
By submitting this document, you agree to execute this agreement voluntarily and to be bound by this Legal Agreement, and this Agreement is binding upon yourself, your heirs, executors, administrators and representatives even if you have not read the Agreement.
You must be logged in to upgrade a membership.